Welcome to the PAW Festival
The Purbeck Art Weeks (PAW) embraces both the visual and performing arts and offers something for everyone. A range of interesting events in the evenings complements all that our visual artists offer during the day. Here is a taste of all that is on offer:
- Open Studios – PAW artists regular and new, have opened their studios across Purbeck for you to enjoy – feel free to talk to them about their work, what inspires them, and how they make things – perhaps even come away with a piece of art to be treasured!
- Rollington Barn hosts PAW’s collective exhibition where you can see at least one artwork from each of the 100+ artists taking part in this year’s Festival. It’s a good place for coffee, delicious cakes and light lunches too!
- PAW nurtures young people’s interest in the arts. The Purbeck Young Artists Scheme has supported artist-led workshops in nearly all Purbeck’s schools – the resulting explosion of young people’s creativity is on show at Rollington Barn.
- The Fine Foundation Gallery, Durlston, is showing our biennial selected exhibition on the ‘A Moment in Time’ theme. Here you can see a wide range of artists work in different media – against breathtaking views of the Jurassic coast.
- Our programme of Events is superb – it includes I Fagiolini with their semi-staged performance of Monteverdi’s opera Orfeo in Wareham, the welcome return of the Fieri Consort and the Gabrieli Consort, the acclaimed Atéa Wind Quintet, an exciting live dance and contemporary dance film event for lovers of dance, and, on a nautical theme, our community performance piece, “Ahoy, Sing for the Mary Rose”. There are also fascinating talks on art and photography. You can even enjoy a glass of wine in the breaks to refresh your spirits!
- And, if you’ve time after all that – get your pencils and sketch pads out and have a go at sketching in the PAW Tent at RSPB Arne Nature Reserve! Or go along to the Etches Collection in Kimmeridge Bay and see what artists do with fossils!
- Be inspired by all the art you see during the day; be thrilled by the events you experience in the evening; in between make time to get out and about to explore Purbeck’s hidden corners, and enjoy local walks and pubs.
- And finally – please support our local shops by voting (here, on our Home Page) for your favourite ‘A Moment in Time’ shop window display.
You can book tickets here online or from Swanage & Wareham Tourist Information Centres. You will also find our free brochures and our Events Programme (£2) at the TICs and elsewhere. We advise booking in advance as tickets can sell out fast!